State Sen. David R. Brinkley (R-District 4, Carroll and Frederick Counties) continues to round up support from Western Maryland lawmakers, as his exploratory committee expands. Brinkley appointed Sen. Christopher B. Shank (R-District 2, Washington County) as his Washington County campaign chairman. Del. Wendell R. Beitzel (R-District 1A, Allegany and Garrett Counties) was appointed chairman of his Garrett County campaign. Del. LeRoy E. Myers Jr. (R-District 1C, Allegany and Washington Counties) was appointed Allegany County campaign chairman. Other leaders who have joined Brinkley’s exploratory committee include:
- Sen. George C. Edwards (R-District 1, Allegany and Garrett Counties, part of Washington County)
- Sen. Joseph M. Getty (R-District 5, Baltimore and Carroll Counties)
- Sen. Alan H. Kittleman (R-District 9, Carroll and Howard Counties)
- Sen. E.J. Pipkin, senate minority leader (R-District 36, Caroline, Cecil, Kent and Queen Anne's Counties)
- Del. Kelly M. Schulz (R-District 4A, Frederick County)
- Del. Donald B. Elliott (R- District 4B, Frederick and Carroll Counties)
- Del. Susan W. Krebs (R-District 9B, Carroll County)
- Del. Donna M. Stifler (R-District 35A, Harford County)
- Frederick Mayor Randy McClement
- Hagerstown Mayor Robert E. Bruchey II
- Montgomery County Republican Central Committee Chairman Mark Uncapher.
Meanwhile, Sen. Robert J. Garagiola (D-District 15, Montgomery County) is adding to his list of endorsers (as of Dec. 5, the tally topped 40), most recently picking up support from Montgomery County Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 35 and from the National Education Association’s Political Action Committee.
Republican incumbent U.S. Rep. Roscoe Bartlett continues to counter rumors that he’s planning to drop out of the election — having said so in interviews with Washington County’s flagship newspaper The Herald-Mail and more recently in a TBD.com segment with Politico’s David Mark. In turn, Bartlett has been speaking out on the need for a new national security plan. Bartlett is the chairman of the House Armed Services Tactical Air and Land Forces Subcommittee and is a senior member of the House Armed Services Seapower and Expeditionary Forces Subcommittee.