(Updated 7:39 p.m.) Charges are pending against three juveniles suspected of setting a fire inside the Walmart at Milestone Shopping Center on Tuesday.
Montgomery County Fire & Rescue spokesman Asst. Chief Scott Graham said it was initially thought the fire may have been caused by an electrical problem due to the smell, but fire officials later suspected three juveniles were responsible after reviewing survelliance footage.
Graham said the youths were tracked by security cameras in Walmart's parking lot, which led authorities to a nearby store where they were arrested. Fire officials allege the youths were seen on camera near the fire's origin. The juveniles are accused of setting plastic clothing labels on fire, Graham said.
Firefighters were dispatched to Walmart at around 1:45 p.m., where they found a store manager trying to extinguish a fire in the clothing department, Graham said.
People inside were evacuated due to the smoke; the store remained closed for about two hours. No injuries were reported.
(Original) Customers were evacuated from Germantown Walmart Tuesday due to an electrical fire.
There were no injuries reported; fire officials did not plan to investigate the blaze further, said Montgomery County Fire & Rescue spokesman Asst. Chief Scott Graham.
"It was pretty minor," Graham said.
A fire crew was dispatched to Walmart at around 2 p.m., according to Graham. A Montgomery County Police spokeswoman said police also responded to assist.
According to bystander accounts, the fire appreantly started near the men's department. A pile of singed athletic socks and men's boxers littered a portion of the walkway near the fire exit. Crowds had gathered near the store's main entrance.
The engine left the scene at around 2:30 p.m.